Monday, April 16, 2012

Physical Therapy and Progress

I have been in Physical Therapy (PT) for approx. 3 weeks now and my pain is worse. If the back spasms are bad, I can take 10 mg of Valium. My Therapist said if I don't make progress in another week, he is going to talk to the surgeons and cancel the rest of my appointments. On the 27th, I am going to have a CAT scan of my back for a Neurosurgical consult. I cannot have an MRI because of the SCS unit.

At this point, it feels like my back is broken. I have a pain management appointment on 5/1 and I might discuss the use of medical marijuana. It is legal in New Jersey and I am becoming concerned with the amount of opioids that I am taking. I am not sure that this is the right or ethical thing to introduce, but I am desperate for a pain free day.

I need to make another appointment with Psychiatry to discuss my current condition. They really helped me with the transition to disability in the past and living in chronic pain is draining. In 9/2010, I had a suicidal episode because of the loss of my job and the thought of having to live this way for the rest of my life. Thank God for my wife and my Mom for being there to help me through this. When you think of all of the issues you need to face at once, it is overwhelming. You need to concentrate on getting well and not guess what the future holds and you cannot control things you cannot.

2 comments: